International Food Trade...
First, a report titled Organic Agriculture and Climate Change from the International Trade Centre UNCTAD/WTO. Typically I don't like to post things unless I've read them fully but I figure this would be good food for though regardless of what I think of it ultimately. The abstract reads:
Second, a link to read, watch, or listen to an interview clip from the show Democracy Now! (I'll post a link to the second part of the interview when they air it.) The abstract of which reads:
This publication concludes that organic agriculture has much to offer in both mitigation of climate change through its emphasis on closed nutrient cycles and is a particularly resilient and productive system for adaptation strategies. It also raises the issue of whether organic agriculture should be eligible for carbon credits under voluntary carbon offsetting markets and the Clean Development Mechanism.
Second, a link to read, watch, or listen to an interview clip from the show Democracy Now! (I'll post a link to the second part of the interview when they air it.) The abstract of which reads:
Global food prices have risen dramatically, adding a new level of danger to the crisis of world hunger. In Africa, food riots have swept across the continent, with recent protests in Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Mauritania and Senegal. In most of West Africa, the price of food has risen by 50 percent—in Sierra Leone, 300 percent. In the United States there has been a 41 percent surge in prices for wheat, corn, rice and other cereals over the past six months. We speak with Raj Patel, author of Stuffed and Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World Food System.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home