Know Your Farmer | Eco-Foodie Junkie

Friday, April 08, 2011

What's On My Food?

Find out what's on your food at: whatsonmyfood.org
I found this interesting (and a bit troublesome) online application - What's On My Food - that details pesticides this group found on food. To be clear;-) this application is great not for figuring out what is on your foods from Brines Farm (because I can tell you that) but great for figuring out what comes on your foods (on average) from elsewhere (conventional farms, supermarkets, restaurants, etc.). I can say that with full confidence since in the history of Brines Farm we have only ever used a limited amount of a certified organic dust that goes after worms during summer months... and we only have used that during nasty outbreaks of cabbage worms/loopers or tomato worms. Additionally we are located miles from other farms and users of pesticides.

Anyway, peruse this application. If anything it should give you some feel for which produce and veggies should be washed as well as a feel for the differences between "mass-produced organic" and conventional. Particularly, it is a bit startling how much pesticide residue is actually showing up on the USDA Organic veggies/produce this group sampled. Albeit certainly is less than conventional. But I'll save a discussion of what's allowed with USDA Organic for another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home