Know Your Farmer | Eco-Foodie Junkie

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Java Collecting Volunteers

So apparently coffee grounds are even better compost materials than previously thought: Coffee Grounds Perk up Compost Pile With Nitrogen.

I'd happily take any coffee shop/restaurant's spent coffee grounds for Brines Farm's compost pile but are there any "java collecting volunteers" out there who would be willing to coordinate with said establishments? I can provide 5 gallon buckets with lids for establishments to fill up but I would probably need someone to regularly collect the buckets and just drop them off at my place in town. And I would take them out to the farm from there. Volunteers could potentially receive some credit at the market stall for such help.

6 Comments:

  • Hey, I work at the Starbucks in Plymouth. All Starbucks locations save all of their spent grounds and package them for "Ground for your Garden". I could request to save some for you. Or, you could start touring the Starbucks closest to you! What city do you live in?

    By Blogger Brittany | the Home Ground, At 7/08/2008 08:01:00 PM  

  • sweetwaters (at least the one in kerrytown) regularly sets out spent grounds for local gardeners

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7/09/2008 07:07:00 AM  

  • I live on the westside of A2. The farm is in Dexter. People/places saving grounds for me would be cool but I want to make sure I have a way (or someone in A2) to collect them and drop them off at my residence, and then I take them to my farm.

    Sweetwaters self-service sounds like a nice model as well.

    By Blogger shannon, At 7/10/2008 02:19:00 PM  

  • I see. I suppose Plymouth doesn't help then... Sounds like a good business model, Java Collector. Too bad I already have 3 jobs! Sorry I couldn't help. If you're ever in Plymouth, make sure to stop by Starbucks!

    Brittany
    mymomthinksimswell.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Brittany | the Home Ground, At 7/10/2008 03:34:00 PM  

  • I hear ya Brittany... Yeah between my full-time university job, farming, and various foodie volunteer work its just not possible to follow every cool sustainable business model. But I agree that Java Collector or even a Compost Collection Service are intriguing business models and not sure why we haven't seen much of it in Metro Detroit yet. Hopefully someone looking for only their second job is reading this though (and noting that Brines Farm is ready to barter for your service:)

    I don't venture to Plymouth much... but where is this community gardens where you are gardening that you posted on your blog? Looks great.

    By Blogger shannon, At 7/10/2008 04:27:00 PM  

  • The community gardens are actually in Livonia on Eight Mile and Newburgh at the Greenmead Historical Village. It's great there! My boyfriend and I usually go to the garden, then play frisbee on the grass.

    It's my first gardening adventure, and I love the community feel. No matter when you go, there are always people working on their gardens.

    By Blogger Brittany | the Home Ground, At 7/10/2008 07:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home