Know Your Farmer | Eco-Foodie Junkie

Monday, January 18, 2010

Have You Heard? School Gardens Are Bad Apparently

Thanks to a member of the area's Local Food online Ning social network that shared this...

The Atlantic somehow published a scathing critique of school gardens which I read thoroughly and discovered the story seemed to be mostly based upon the author's dislike for one "famous" school garden program proponent (of the thousands mostly non-famous proponents across the nation). I did not find any references to actual research to support the author's hypothesis, peer reviewed journals or anything really for that matter. Just one anecdotal observation and a couple flimsy stats from one middle school in Berkeley, CA with the author in no way acknowledging all of the oodles of variables that could be confounding her flimsy stats of that one school.

Fortunately, there has been plenty of rebuttals to this story so I can stop there and share one rebuttal with a sarcastic title that includes links to other rebuttals as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home